“Build a Better World”
June 1-July 31, 2017
Queen Anne’s County Library encourages students to be life-long learners and year-round readers. In summer 2016, over 1500 children and teens participated in our summer reading program! Summer reading programs:
- Help children and teens retain and enhance their reading skills, helping to prevent the “summer slide.”
- Improve students reading skills significantly
- Keep kids busy with interesting FREE events throughout the Summer
You can register at the library or participate online, starting June 1. The first children to register will receive a FREE Summer @ Your Library shirt, courtesy of the Friends of the Library!
How It Works
- Register for Summer @ Your Library and sign up for events at your local branches, Kent Island or at Centreville, starting on June 1st to receive your packet and calendar.
- Participate and color in the bubble on the calendar on days you visit the library, come to a library program, read for 15 minutes or complete any literacy-related activity.
- Enter to win prizes every time you visit the library. Each summer reader may enter by placing a ticket in the prize bucket of their choice. Winners will be notified by phone.
- Return your calendar at the end of Summer @ Your Library for a free book! Every bubble does not need to be completed. Just do as much as you can!
Check our calendar for information about fun and educational summer reading events. All library programs are free of charge. Event registration is required only where noted.
- The Baltimore Orioles Field Ceremony. Tickets for the game are included. One winner per county.
- The Maryland Science Center: 4 tickets to the Science Center. One winner per branch.
- Baseball Tickets: Orioles Tickets, Bowie Baysox Tickets, and Delmarva Shorebird Tickets. Limited supply.
- Prize Drawings: Every two weeks we will be giving away different prizes such as science kits, LEGO® kits, and other fun prizes! Winners will be notified by phone.
- Prizes for Littles (age 0-5): Even the youngest library users can enter to win prizes, such as squishy blocks, magnetic cars, and other fun prizes!
- Prizes for Teens: Amazon Giftcards, and 2 grand prizes: Beats Headphones or a Wireless Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker
- QACPS Elementary School Summer Reading Lists: QACPS rising PreK-5th grades will use the ALSC 2016 summer reading lists
Summer Reading is sponsored by:
Future Summer Themes:
- 2018: Libraries Rock (music)
- 2019: Space (50th anniversary of the first man on the moon)
Teen 2017 Summer @ Your Library (6th-12th grades)
image © BCPL